Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Progression of a Housewarming Gift

When it came down to it, this one was all about the layers. The background as a clear blue didn't work for what I wanted so I made it all messed up and dark, cooler colors. I was going for an old fantasy forest feel and this put me where I wanted to be.


The next step was getting the trees in there to establish the 'path' I was trying to convey.


And then it became mostly about shading and establishing a sense of space and distance. I liked the idea of the light being in the distance drawing the eye back rather than being where the viewer stood.

More work on that front and really getting a sense of perspective in the pathway towards the light.



And the final result. The white tree in the front is meant to 'start' the journey on the lit pathway. I was very much inspired by the background work on Sleeping Beauty for this and the two that this was a gift for loved that movie so that was a bonus.



Some of the detail work:



1 comment:

Neva Reese said...

That really is so very, very lovely and immediately thought "Sleeping Beauty" before I read it a few down! Internet hi-5ive!